Just like any other activities, in order to become a truly skilled driver, one must make numerous practices. There are no shortcuts around this. Learner drivers should keep on taking driving lessons in Singapore till they master all the driving techniques and are able to execute any type of normal driving moves.
Let’s define what are all the driving techniques that one needs to master in order to qualify as a truly skilled driver in my opinion.
These driving techniques include:
1. Executing left turns on the road with ease
2. Executing right turns on the road with ease
3. Executing U-turns on the road with ease
4. Negotiating around sharp bends with ease
5. Changing lanes with ease
6. Executing three-points turns on the road with ease
7. Making vertical parking on the road with ease (able to park at both left and right side of the road shoulder)
8. Making parallel parking on the road with ease (able to park at both left and right side of the road shoulder)
9. Avoiding engine stalls (for manual transmission car drivers)
10. Able to drive safety on wet roads with ease, with no incidents
These 10 driving techniques may look easy but some of them are quite difficult to attain. For instance, most learner drivers are well-training to perform vertical parking and parallel parking on the left road shoulder. However, there are some Singapore roads which require the drivers to be able to park on the right road shoulder. Personally, I got my driving license without practicing parking on the right road shoulders. Hence, I failed at my first attempt at performing a parallel parking on the right road shoulder.
As some learner drivers may not encounter wet road conditions during their driving lessons, they do not have the experience and may not know how to handle driving in such situations. It depends on luck to meet these situations.
All in all, I would like to highly recommend learner drivers not to stop taking driving lessons even after obtaining their driving licenses till they truly feel they are skillful enough on the roads.
Apart from private driving lessons, learner drivers can take up lessons from driving instructors at the driving centers. There are three driving centers in Singapore – Singapore Safety Driving Center, Bukit Batok Driving Center, and the Ubi ComfortDelgro Driving Center.
It is an easy process to sign up for practical lessons at the driving centers. First of all, learner drivers have to head down to the driving centers to open an account with them. When an account has been made, learner drivers can register for practical lessons. Just a quick note – the driving centers are facing a huge demand for their driving lessons. It could take up to a month for learner drivers to book their next driving lessons.
Some common reasons why learner drivers want to learn from instructors at the driving centers include a systematic course structure, and the credible brand name. The driving instructors at the driving centers follow a strict course structure and every student will know exactly what they will learn in every lesson. This has a bad implication to it though – if learner drivers learn much faster than their average counterparts, they will still be forced to learn at the same rate as the others. No requests to speed up the lessons will be considered.
Last but not least, most people look at brand name when buying products and services these days. More recognized brands are trusted for their quality products and services. I believe some learner drivers choose the driving centers instead of private driving instructors because they are unsure whether the private driving instructors will be as good, given that there are not much information on private driving instructors on the internet.
Before learner drivers find their Singapore private driving instructors, they should prepare themselves for the lessons, in order to fully maximize the learning process during the lessons. Learner drivers should avoid the scenario where they waste time during the driving lessons making unnecessary mistakes which could have been avoidable if they are more prepared for the lessons.
So here’s how to prepare for the private driving lessons in Singapore:
1. Recap on your driving theory. If learner drivers proceed to take their driving lessons immediately after they passed their theory tests, then they should have a much shorter time recapping the theory knowledge. In contrast, if they have a huge gap in between the driving lesson and the theory test, they may need more time to recap on those knowledge. Learner drivers should fully understand the driving theory when they come for the private driving lessons. As a result, they should comply with the road signs and properly execute the right driving techniques on the roads. For instance, they should stop their car when they see the “stop” sign. In addition, they should drive slower around the bend. These are things already taught in the theory books. Driving instructors expect their students to know these things already. Spending time to re-explain these concepts can really be time wasting as these concepts can be self-taught by reading the theory book at home.
2. Find out what to expect for the practical test. Few learner drivers know exactly what they will be tested on during the practical test. They only know the general idea that they will be tested on their driving skills on the road. However, I feel that learner drivers can go one step forward and prepare themselves more. They should know all the stations that they will need to pass during the practical test. Moreover, they should also know the activities which will give them demerit points on the roads. If they know them, they will be more careful not to make the mistakes which will cost them the demerit points.I found an e-book on www.sglearntodrive.com which gives insights on the stations tested during the practical test. I highly recommend learner drivers to get this e-book.